Pingdom is a uptime monitoring service that recently did a study on the ages of social network users across these networks: Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace, Twitter, Slashdot, Reddit, Digg, Delicious, StumbleUpon, FriendFeed, Last.fm, Friendster, LiveJournal, Hi5, Tagged, Ning, Xanga, Classmates.com, Bebo.
I can't say for certain that the statistics are 100% accurate, but based on their findings, these are some conclusions that can be drawn:
- The average social network user is 37 years old.
- LinkedIn, with its business focus, has a predictably high average user age; 44.
- The average Twitter user is 39 years old.
- The average Facebook user is 38 years old.
- The average MySpace user is 31 years old.
- Bebo has by far the youngest users, as witnessed earlier, with an average age of 28.
Assuming the data is accurate, age should be just one of the factors involved in making a decision regarding social media. since there are a whole host of other factors that must also be considered. As a business owner, the greatest question would be to ask if you want to make your presence felt on all of these social networks, since only several of them allow brand engagement: Facebook and Twitter for example.
What is interesting though, is that the median age as shown in this report is 37 years old, which is not that old, but still much older than I'd expected.